Dienstag, 19. Februar 2008

Handball Spiel

I forgot to mention that I finally achieved something I'd been wanting to do since encountering several enraptured German men in our hotel bar in Munich back in January 2007: attend a handball game. The Berlin Fuechse (Foxes) played MT Melsungen (a town somewhere in Hessen known for its spa I guess). I really should have looked up the rules before attending, because I kinda had a hard time figuring out what was going on the whole time. It was kinda like a mix between soccer and basketball and hockey. I'd say it was a bit more physical than basketball, and the players seemed to be fouling each other all over the place without penalty, but not as brutal as hockey because they weren't wearing pads and there were no walls to be checked against. The goals looked like they do in soccer, although a bit smaller. They played a zone defense too. Oh, and they even had cheerleaders called the Titans! I suggest reading the Wikipedia article for more info about the sport.

Frightening half-fox, half-man.


















Melsungen on offense, the purple-and-yellow-clad Fuechse on defense. These guys had mad hops. I think my favorite player was the goalie.

Keine Kommentare: