Dienstag, 25. September 2007

glücklich

Well, I should write on this thing more often about all the bad things happening to me. Remember how the first time I wrote about not having an apartment yet and then someone called me up and told me I could move in? (the apartment I decided not to take) Well, right after I wrote the last post, I got another call saying I could have a room in an apartment! So I am no longer obdachlos. Yay! My apartment is right in Mitte, on Weinmeisterstrasse, about 30 seconds from the U-Bahn line that will take me directly to my school in six stops (no changing lines!). God is good, ain't He? Well, even if I were homeless, He would still be good. All the time!

But I just discovered that I will have to pay a fee for registering myself more than a week after I moved in. So I decided just not to register myself at my current address and just register when I move in to my new place. Except I have to prove to Humboldt on Friday that I am registered (the government wants to know where you are living at all times, once again I love America even more now). I wasn't sure how that could work out, and in fact, I've been having minor panic attacks about it, since I shouldn't be messing with the German government. I caved in and went all the way to the registration office today because I figured it was better to just pay a fee than get in big trouble, and when I got to the door I just turned around and went home because the cheapskate in me won my inner battle (two things: I'm kidding lying--I couldn't find the door to the building, but I figured it was a sign from God that I was not meant to register yet even though I am 2.5 weeks late; and I taught my students the word "cheapskate" today). I am a terrible person.

I also discovered that I gave the wrong bank account number to the organization that is paying me, which is why I have not gotten paid yet. Which means I keep having to withdraw money from my American bank account. WHY IS THE EXCHANGE RATE SO CRAPPY? Actually, I kinda hope it gets worse because when I get paid in Euros it will be awesome to exchange them to dollars. That is, if I have any Euros left when I return to America. Not looking likely, especially because of the numerous amount of vacations I have. Starting with my "vacation" to Munich this weekend. Which reminds me, I should get off this thing and study for the first time today.

I hope that the next time I post will be from the comfort of my very own room. Post-LSAT, post-registration, post-matriculation-at-Humboldt, post-bank-account-clearing-up, post-visa-obtainment, post-everything-that-is-stressing-me-out! Oh yeah, and post-law-school-apps. One of my recommenders just wrote to me asking to see my personal statement. As if I've even started to think about what I am writing my personal statement about!

Keine Kommentare: